Friday, January 1, 2010

Gezuar...


Today not only marks the beginning of 2010, but it also is the first day of my 10th month in Albania (whoa).  Celebrating New Year’s here was quite the event, and more like a war zone…fireworks are EVERYWHERE. The celebration starts early – in the morning everyone is out doing last minute shopping and live turkeys are being sold for New Year’s dinner. I would equate the streets of Elbasan to those of an area that has just gotten word to evacuate, combined with holiday lights, festive smells and anticipation on the faces of Albanians as they look forward to celebrating with their friends and families.            

Walking from my house to Ervin’s  (where I celebrated with his family), I encountered kids no older than 7 throwing firecrackers in the grass, behind piles of garbage, at each other, and performing the classic “throw and run” move.  Most interesting (and disturbing) was the man who threw one that landed on the top step of a store (then he proceeded to run into his car and drive away).

The New Year’s meal started at around 8:30 PM – and ended at around 1 AM.  It is a feast – turkey, veal, qofta (like a meat/vegetable patty), salad, potatoes, pickled vegetables, peppers with cheese, bread, rice, olives, pickles, and then fruit and baklava to top it off. I’m full just listing all of this!  During the dinner we watched a popular TV show called Portokalli – it’s a comedy show, and I really wish I could understand it all because every single person in Albania that I’ve watched it with laughs uncontrollably. I take the few words I can understand and try to come up with something funny – then laugh even if it’s not the same joke. That works until people ask me what was just said. L

At midnight the sky of Elbasan was lit up as we all said “Gezuar Vitin e Ri”.  I wish all my friends and family back home a happy and healthy 2010. I look forward to this year, as I’m sure it will be filled of the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment