Monday, August 10, 2009

"Are you looking to buy a new pair of shoes?"

Each day here in Albania, you never know what you might encounter. In the past 2 weeks, I have seen Albi dig up 6 eggs from the ground and eat them (it was quite the sight, every time I thought he was done, he’d find another one), I walked right over a full set of teeth on the ground on my way to work (?), found a turtle and baby turtles in my yard (see photo), and walked by a cat in full rigor mortis lying on top of a pile of bricks and rubble. I also got flagged down while I was running by a girl around my age who told me she has seen me running and wants to join me (such a rewarding feeling to provide women here the chance to do things for themselves and for their health).

One of the most interesting events though, occurred on a Sunday afternoon while running errands. I had been out for a while and of course was sweating profusely (there aren’t many moments here in August that one ISN’T sweating) Out of the blue, I heard a man say “Are you looking to buy a new pair of shoes”? Since it’s not usual to hear people speaking English, I was taken aback. After a short conversation, we went to have a coffee. Turns out it was one of the most interesting and enlightening coffee breaks that I have had here.

The man was born in Elbasan, and he was in the second group of students that were taught English at the University of Tirana. He went on to be one of the first teachers of English in Elbasan, and started teaching at Alexander Xhuvani University in 1965.
He has traveled to America to visit New York State University at Fredonia, where he was offered a job to teach English for one year. He said the people at the University were the most welcoming people he had ever met. They opened their arms out to him.

At 68 years old, he said that when you get to be his age, you do a lot of looking back. His dad owned the first olive oil factory in Elbasan, and was a very serious man who never smiled…the first time he saw him smile was when he held his first grandchild. But his dad made his living and strived to do well to pave the way for his children.

He is proud of the fact that in his life he has taught thousands of students to speak English, and they have gone on to do great things, some even in America. He has received many letters from his former students thanking him for teaching them English and giving them the opportunity to live rich and fulfilling lives. 

He also is fluent in Russian, Swedish, English, Italian, German, and Albanian. His views as a native Albanian were very inspiring, because of his passion for education, literature, and being true and honest in his life. It is well worth having a coffee with any Albanian who should ask. You never know what wonderful people you will meet, and what their past holds that you can learn something from.

No comments:

Post a Comment